iTunes 8. Make sure it doesn't run, or you'll have to restart it.
Edit: easier solution!
Press Win+R to open the Command box.
Type cmd and press enter to open a command line.
Copy the following text:
"%CommonProgramFiles%\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\defaults" write com.apple.iTunes allow-half-stars -bool TRUE
...and press enter.
Attention: Pasting in the command line works only via right click!
If this doesn't work for you, maybe the following one is right for you.
My old & crafty solution:
Notepad ++. Standard Notepad gets confused with XML files.
- Press Win+R to open a Command box.
- Type "%appdata%" and press enter. This will bring you to the hidden application settings folder.
- Open the folder "Apple Computer" and, within, the "iTunes" Folder.
You should see a file named iTunesPrefs, probably with a .xml following (according to your view settings). Do not mistake it for the iTunes.pref, this is a version from earlier iTunes and not editable as easily.
- Start Notepad ++.
- Drag the iTunesPrefs in this window to open it for editing.
- Do not panic. Information is encrypted for iTunes to be readable, you don't have to understand anything.
- Scroll all the way and search the sequence of:
- insert a new line above and copy/paste:
- Save and close - that's it.